Why do some people think I should believe in everything they believe?
Some People Just Don’t Get It. It’s not enough that I have to just listen to their opinion I have to agree with it; I have to agree with it or they won’t shut up. They use there opinions like a baseball bat and try to beat me over the head with it. I’m sure you know someone like that, right? It might even be your partner. The idea that partners have to agree on everything is crap. (I’m not talking about my partner here by the way, just so there’s no misunderstanding back home).
Look around you. The world is just full of examples of people’s differences. There probably aren’t any two people who have exactly the same taste in every different type of food. We don’t all like the same music. We don’t all believe in the same politics, the same religion, the same parenting style, the same sex, the same hobbies, the same education, the same way to manage the environment, our finances and on and on.
Despite the fact there is evidence of differences everywhere; some people think they have the one and only correct belief. Hah, that’s deluded.
Some People Just Don’t Get It
Right now I’m guessing you either one of those people and you’re already gathering your argument against me, raising your baseball bat ready to strike. Or, you have to put up with one or more of those people, in which case here are some tips you might find handy.
1. Be firm in your conviction that you have the right to a different point of view; just like you have the right to dislike hot curry or opera music. (No-one has the right to like opera ) JJ 🙂
2. Be equally firm in your conviction that people don’t have to agree with you. Needing people’s agreement is like needing people’s approval. Not healthy and will leave you disappointed.
3. Hold your beliefs gently and be prepared to let go of them if you find a more supportive or effective one. There is a smorgasbord of beliefs out there. Choose the ones that work for you.
4. Be okay with other people disagreeing with you. It means they disagree. It doesn’t mean anything else about you. Don’t make it mean more.
5. Don’t become someone who has to make everyone agree with them. The baseball bat look doesn’t suit you.
Now, if you would like to look deeper at any of this, feel free to contact me so we can talk personally. This stuff is important and I see it cause so many traumas in people’s lives.